Assistant Editing with Avid
April 22, 2019 – June 10, 2019
Mondays | 6 p.m. - 9 p.m. | 7 Sessions (no class May 27)
Develop the software, conceptual and technical skills used by assistant editors in the professional editorial world.
- Opportunities and realities of the professional editorial world
- The specific realms of assistant editors and senior editors
- How knowledge of story is a factor in success at the entry level
- Attributes of different editorial environments: reality TV, long form documentary, long form narrative, commercial, sponsored content
- Orientation to the Avid Media Composer 8.4.4 interface
- Setting up a project
- Inputting footage
- Organizing the footage: logging and sub-clipping
- Stringing out and trimming scenes
- Adding and editing audio
- Creating and adding titles and graphics
- Functions of other tools: multi-cam, kerning, drop shadow, lower thirds
- Finishing and exporting
- Apply these processes and techniques on a project (footage can be provided if student does not have their own)
- Get instructor feedback for your editing.
- Hear from guest senior editors about their career paths, methods and advice.
Tuition includes access to the Film Center Edit Lab and opportunity to purchase Avid 8.4.4 at a substantial discount.
Pre-requisites: Basic knowledge of Final Cut X or Adobe Premiere