January 22, 2020 – April 15, 2020
Wednesdays | 6:30-9:30pm | 12 Sessions
Shoot and edit two beginning-level individual short films as you are introduced to visual, cinematic storytelling. This comprehensive overview of film production and analysis encourages you to develop your eye and voice as a media artist. Your projects can be in any genre (e.g. narrative, documentary, experimental etc.). Time outside of class is required for completion of class assignments but will vary from week to week from 4-8 hours depending on the complexity of your projects. You are encouraged to crew up with other classmates on their projects in order to gain filming experience and participate in different approaches/challenges. Class will use Google Classroom for instructor-student communication (gmail account not required).
- The components of film language and properties of the image
- The filmmaking process: pre-production, production, post-production
- Creating treatments and/or scripts and storyboards
- Digital camera operation and shooting techniques
- Basic lighting techniques
- In-camera audio recording
- Continuity and relations between images
- Setting up a project for editing in Adobe Premiere, editing steps
- Media file management and workflow
- Importing sounds, layering and mixing soundtracks
- Adding titles and effects
- Moving from first edit to revision and final edit
- Get instructor guidance and feedback on your work
Tuition includes access to camera and lighting equipment and access to Film Center Edit Mac Lab (with Adobe Premiere). You will need your own personal Mac formatted external hard drive (specs will be provided after registration).
Click here for Equipment Room and Edit Lab open hours.
*Payment plans are now available!
What students are saying about Art of Filmmaking:
“Art of Film provided guidance and a supportive environment to learn skills that would have taken me years to learn on my own.”
“I loved this class. It felt like a very supportive and open-minded atmosphere that gave me room to learn without feeling at all inexperienced or untalented.”