Log in
Sign up
Call us! 503-221-1156


    Join Our Email List

    New Student FAQ

    Bookmark and Share

    College Credit

    Looking for Summer Camp college credit? Click here.

    All core courses in the School of Film may be taken for transferable undergraduate college credit, in cooperation with Portland State University (PSU). Admission to the PSU degree program is not required. Credit students pay the Film Center the tuition and lab fee listed with each individual course description, plus the indicated optional PSU credit fee. College credit must be elected by the end of the first week of class and cannot be awarded retroactively. Please note that employer reimbursement often requires that college credit be elected. College credit is optional.

    School of Film coursework may also be pursued as part of cooperative degree programs with PSU, Marylhurst University, and the Pacific NW College of Art. Additional fees apply and formal admission to the participating academic programs is required. For more information, contact the Education Program Manager.

    Cooperative Degree Options
    Students enrolled at PSU may participate in Northwest Film Center classes toward the completion of a BA degree in Film through the Theater Arts Department, or a Film Studies Minor through the English, Communication Studies, or Theater Arts Departments. Admission to PSU is required. Individuals pay PSU tuition plus Film Center tuition and lab/equipment fees. For more information, call 503-725-5360. Students attending the Pacific Northwest College of Art may transfer coursework from the School into the BFA Program. For more information, call 503-821-8974. Students admitted to Marylhurst University may cross-register with the School for selected courses. Participating Departments include Art (call 503-699-6242), Communications (call 503-699-6296) and Interdisciplinary Studes, which offers a Concentration in Media and Film Studies (call 503-699-6273).

    For more information on earning college credit while participating in Northwest Film Center School of Film courses, contact the Registrar or call 503-221-1156 x25.

    College Degree Options
    While the School of Film does not offer college degrees, the School does have cooperative agreements with area colleges and universities who allow School of Film coursework to be integrated into their respective degree programs.

    Contact the Registrar for more information about any of these options.


    Q: What are the advantages of enrolling for credit?
    A: You will be eligible to transfer School of Film coursework to other colleges and universities at a later time, as the receiving institution's transfer policies allow. College credit is often required for employer-paid tuition reimbursement.
    Q: How much does college credit cost?
    A: For credit at PSU, most core classes are 4 credits with a fee of $260. In addition to the fee paid to the Northwest Film Center at the time of registration, PSU now charges an additional $41 per term Rec Center fee for all students receiving credit in a given term. This cannot be paid through the Northwest Film Center. Students are required to pay this fee directly to PSU. Not paying this fee may result in account holds, late fees, and interest.
    Q: Can I get a grade even if I don't enroll for credit?
    A: No. You will receive instructor feedback but an actual grade will not be recorded on your transcript.
    Q: Can I enroll for credit after the class has started?
    A: For core classes of six or more sessions, you may enroll and pay for credit up until the end of the first week of class. After that, credit is no longer available.
    Q: Can I get credit retroactively after the class is over?
    A: No, the accreditation requirements of our cooperative higher education partners do not permit this.

    ©2010-2014 School of Film • contactdirections